Bachelor of Science in Safety, Health and Environmental Management
Programme Type : Full Time
Fees : Fees
Faculty : The Built Environment, Arts and Science
Entry requirements : Candidates must have NCQF Level 4, Certificate IV (BGCSE) or its equivalent) with at least grade C in English, Science and Mathematics or Statistics.
Department : Occupational Health and Safety Management
Programme Duration : 4 Years
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Safety, Health and Environmental Management (BSc. SHEM) is intended to produce a well-rounded practitioner who is able to recognize the link between workplace hazards, their impacts on workers’ health, external communities as well as the general environment. Furthermore, this qualification will equip students with skills that will empower and capacitate them with abilities to penetrate the industrial market and atmospheres; thus, they can engage in safety, health and environmental consultancy as well as work as Safety, Health and Environmental officers and managers. Additionally, the graduates may acquire positions of Environmental Policy analysts as well as OHS trainers, inspectors, practitioners and assessors. In academic progression, this qualification may work as a baseline entry qualification into various fields of vertical progression towards postgraduate qualifications like Environmental Management, Risk and Safety Management, Public Policy and health and any other relevant field as may be fit.
- Occupational Health and Safety Management Consultants;
- Safety, Health and Environment Managers and officers;
- Safety, Health and Environment Policy Analyst and Developers;
- Safety, Health and Environment Officers;
- Environmental Officers;
- Environmental Managers;
- Risk Control Officers;
- Risk Control Managers;
- Loss Control Officers;
- Loss Control Managers;
- Safety Officers;
- Safety Managers;
- Safety Auditors;
- Trainers in Occupational Health and Safety Management;
- Administrators in Occupational Health and Safety and related fields;
- Human Resources officers in Occupational Health and Safety and related fields;
- Industrial and Environmental Assessors;
- Safety Health Assessors;
- Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Inspector;
- Health and Safety Practitioner;
- Lecturer / Academic Officer;
- Environmental Control/Protection Officer;
- Industrial Hygienist; and
- Environmental Impact Assessment Officer/Specialist.
- Occupational Health and Safety Management Researcher Safety, Health and Environment Representatives.
- Candidates must have NCQF Level 4, Certificate IV (BGCSE) or its equivalent) with at least grade C in English, Science and Mathematics or Statistics. OR
- A Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Management (NCQF Level 6) or its equivalent can be admitted with condition that they fulfill all prerequisite courses for progression to degree level. OR
- Special Entry: Candidates who do not meet the minimum academic qualifications stated above, but have a minimum of two years relevant work experience will be considered through a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process. Such entry may be accepted on their own merits from students with relevant work experience as acceptable to the institution. OR
- EXEMPTIONS Potential students may be exempted from taking specific and selected courses as approved by the relevant structures or as per institutional regulations.
The Degree programme runs over a duration of 48 months (4 years) for fulltime learners (eight semesters in forty-eight months, consisting of six months each) and sixty months (5 years) for part-time learners.