Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Education
Programme Type : Full Time
Fees : Fees
Faculty : Education
Entry requirements : 5 credits
Department : Early Childhood Development
Programme Duration : 4 Years
The Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Development is a four year degree programme divided into eight semesters offering thirty eight courses which prepare learners to educate and care for children from zero to six years. The programme philosophy ensures that learners acquire knowledge and skills necessary to plan and implement play-based learning that supports children in all areas of their development. Learners will learn how to be responsive and effective caregivers to facilitate a child’s feelings of self-worth, independence and social-emotional resiliency. It aims to highlight the importance of providing the possible environment for their child’s learning and holistic development. The programme has a strong component on parental involvement premised on the understanding that the family provides a child’s first and most significant learning environment, and this compliments the idea that parents are their child’s first and most important teachers. Families, professionals, para-professional and community groups dealing with children are therefore all regarded as catalysts and agents in children’s’ development expected to work through collaborative partnership as stakeholders of varying backgrounds. These connections are critical as they form the foundation of working in the field of early learning and care. The Early Childhood Development programme exposes learners to a unique balance between theoretical knowledge and practical life experiences.
Career Opportunities :
- Child Care Worker
- Preschool Teacher
- Education Administrator
Entry Requirements :
The program is intended for both form five leavers and serving teachers.
- Candidates must have obtained at least five (5) Credits at BGCSE (or equivalent) including a pass in English language. OR
- Candidates must have completed a relevant Diploma in Early Childhood or its equivalent. OR
- Special Entry: Candidates who do not have the minimum academic qualifications stated above but have a minimum of three years relevant work experience will be considered upon satisfying the requirements of the Academic Affairs Board. Recognition of Prior Learning Policy (RPL) will be used as an instrument for further assessment of mature-age entry candidates.
Programme Structure :
- The Degree programme will run over a duration of 48 months (4 years) for full-time learners and sixty months (5 years) for part-time learners (eight semesters in forty eight- months, consisting of six months each).
- Learners will be required to undertake teaching practice within the last semester of the fourth year before completion of the program.
Learners will be assessed on the basis of the following:
- Mid-term examinations
- Workplace Attachment
- Final examinations
Lectures are held as follows:
- Full-time: 8.00- 17.00 Monday to Friday
- Part-time: 17.30-20.00 Monday to Friday