Bachelor of Education in (English Language)
Programme Type : Full Time
Fees : Fees
Faculty : Education
Entry requirements : 5 credits
Department : Teacher Education and development
Programme Duration : 4 Years
The importance of the Bachelor of Education in English Language as a programme Is unquestionable. English is not only the official Language of Botswana, but also a major communication tool in this very competitive global market. It promotes confidence in self-expression and is a basis for god interpersonal skills.
Furthermore, the link between language and culture is clear. It is through acquiring language proficiency that students for this course will understand cultural diversities and cultural challenges brought about by globalization. The programme is intended to produce students who are multi-skilled individuals who will fit smoothly into the global world of work.
The literature element of the programme is particularly important as a contributing factor in the intellectual and moral development of students, as it exposes them to critical thinking and universal truths. It also encourages students to develop a culture of reading, which is important in accessing a variety of information from various sources.
An English Degree is a wide and resourceful degree which offers graduates a wide variety of career paths to follow. Not only does it open a wide variety of employment opportunities, it also offers a diverse set of vital skills for success in any career.
Skills for Success
- Strong ethics
- Computer skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Practical skills to read effectively and critically
- Aptitude for analysing, organizing and interpreting ideas
- Value attitudes to develop respect for and tolerance of linguistic varieties
- Content knowledge to gain understanding of the status of English in Botswana and in the world
- News Reader
- Freelance Writing
- Teaching/ Lecturing
- Becoming a Literacy Agent
- Script writing for TV and Radio
- Public and International Relations Officer
- Personal Assistant or Administrative Assistant
- Teaching in non-English speaking countries such as Japan, China, Saudi Arabia
1. Applicants must have obtained at least five credits at Botswana General Certificate of Secondary Education or its equivalent including a pass in English language. OR
2. Special Entry: Candidates who do not have the minimum academic qualifications stated above, but have three years relevant work experience in a related field will be considered. Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) may be used as an instrument for further assessment of mature-entry candidates.
The Degree programme will run over duration of 48 months (4 years) for full-time learners and sixty months (5 years) for part-time learners.