Master of Urban Planning and Design
Programme Type : Full Time
Fees : Fees
Faculty : The Built Environment, Arts and Science
Entry requirements : Bachelor’s Degree of Science (Honors)
Department :Real Estate
Programme Duration : 2 Years
This qualification, therefore, aspires to produce individuals with enhanced skills and competencies to plan and design human settlements as these skills are currently in short supply in Botswana. Many government policies like Vision 2036, National Development Plan (NDP) 11, Urban Development Plans (UDP) and District Development Plans (DDP) can be successfully implemented through the production of skilled personnel in the design and planning of urban and rural spaces as proposed in this qualification.
The purpose of Master of Urban Design and Planning is to produce graduates with advanced knowledge , skills and competences that are able to:
- Conduct research on economic, social, regulatory factors affecting land use and physical design challenges associated with human settlements.
- Design modification plans to revitalize a range of developments including built spaces, road infrastructures, housing areas and cities to address current problems.
- Design sustainable urban development solutions in buildings, open spaces, and landscapes to meet community needs.
Graduate of this programme are expected to gain employment in the public sector, consulting quantity surveying firms, construction companies and other players in the construction industry as well as self-employment. They can work in areas of:
- City or District Architect
- Urban Designer
- Urban Planner
- Project Manager
- Property Development Specialist
Applicants will be admitted to this Learning Programme on the basis of one of the following minimum qualifications:
- Applicants should hold at least Bachelor’s Degree (NCQF Level 7) in Urban Planning and Design or any related field from recognized institution. OR
- Candidates who do not meet the minimum academic qualifications stated above will be considered through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process which shall be administered according to the National RPL Policy. There will also be provision for Credit Accumulation and Transfer available to the learners where applicable as per ETP and National Policy on CAT.
The programme will run over a duration of 2 years on a full-time basis.